Ever since I decided I´d start up an ALC, I´ve been freaked out by the fact that this time I´m on my own.
Now, I want this to be very clear: I prefer working with a team. But if I can´t have an outstanding team that meet my standards of high-achievements and mutual support and respect, I prefer doing it alone.
But that doesn´t mean I´m totally fine with the situation either. It´s a huge repsonsibility and I´m afraid I might not have all the energy that it takes. It feels lonely and scary not having a team around me.
I´ve been thinking a lot on how to make Explora happen without a) killing myself in the process and b) without any start-up money.
Thanks to my newly opened kindergarten I´ve been able to install electricity and plumbing, so that part is taken care of. But now I need to:
- Clean the two lots next to the house (3000-4000 m2 – loads of land!)
- Get furniture, mattrasses and cushions for the cozy room,
- and hammocks for the terrace,
- plus, able and chairs for the art room.
- And oh, yes, art materials of course, and
- some nice books and fun board games.
- Shelves I need too.
- And doors for the bathrooms.
- Whiteboards would be cool even though I can do without.
The thing is, I have absolutely no money for this – at least not today.
But, even though Explora isn´t a communitarian project, it definitely is a project for the Puerto Escondido community. So, my intention is to gather a group of resoursceful people this week, and simply ask them to help me pull this through. And there are actually several ways they can support me, like by:
- Spreading the word and help families find the project in order for me to get the inscriptions rolling.
- Donating furniture, books, games
- Lending me their gardeners to can clean up the land
- Becoming a sponsor of a child that comes from a low-income family
- Donating money
I hope it´ll work. And if you have any ideas that I haven´t explored yet – please feel free to share them with me!